Saturday, December 06, 2008

The Rekindling of Relationships

Christmas 2010 in Morganton, NC. Nikon D3, 14-24mm, ISO 200, f/2.8, 1/2500
Listen to me, O house of Jacob, all the remnant of the house of Israel, who have been borne by me from your birth, carried from the womb; even to your old age I am he, even when you turn gray I will carry you. I have made, and I will bear; I will carry and will save. Isaiah 46:3-4

Chelle helps decorate ginger bread house at our friend Jackie Reedy's "Cookie Day" in 2010. Lumix DMC-TZ5. ISO 100, f/3.3, 1/4
“Chelle can you help me put up the Christmas tree?” was my question a few years ago. Our family uses a fake tree due to our allergies and it takes time to unpack and put it together each year. My daughter had gotten finally big enough to help hand me the branches. So together we got the tree assembled and then Dorie, my wife, helped with the ornaments and other decorations around the house. The following year Chelle asked me, “Daddy when are we putting up the tree?” Dorie reminded me we now had a tradition. It continues to this day.

Our Christmas tree in 2011. Nikon Coolpix P7000, ISO 1600, f/2.8, 1/30
While I could tell you about all the symbolism of the Christmas tree, for us it boils down to what Christmas is about—the tradition of a relationship being rekindled through a simple tradition of putting up a Christmas tree. It is like the official start for the season for our family. It is a time my daughter enjoys with her father as a special time together. It is my time, as a father, to spend time with my daughter.

Tacky Christmas Sweater Party for Kelly Stancil graduating from Georgia Tech December 2010. Lumix, DMC-TZ5. ISO 250, f/3.3, 1/30
Maybe this is what the season is really about—rekindling our relationship with the father through his son, Jesus Christ. As long as all these traditions help us and remind us to spend time with God, then the season will have been fully lived.

Dear Lord, may these traditions remind me of spending time with you. Help us to not only grow closer to you, but to those around us this season. Help us to celebrate the traditions in a way that draws us closer to you. Amen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Stanley,

Very nice pictures in the Bulletin this week. Yes, Advent is indeed the time to rekindle that relationship with Jesus and so enter into communion with the Most Holy Trinity. Definitely is the time to take that busy/distracted/routine/business as usual - Heart and slam on the brakes and skid into the intersection of the right dispositions to receive Him anew this Christmas ! May you and the family have a blessed one - and thanks for all you do in the many areas of Photography and ministry. You are a Man for all Seasons !