Sunday, August 09, 2015

Nikon AF 60mm f/2.8 D Micro on Fuji X-E2 and Nikon D750

Nikon AF 60mm f/2.8 D Micro
I have had this Nikon AF 60mm f/2.8 D Micro for a while and use it occasionally. I just got curious today as to what this would do on my Fuji X-E2.

I pretty much knew the results I was getting with my Nikon full framed cameras, but just shot the Nikon D750 to show you the difference in the crop factor more than anything. All the photos where shot as close as the lens would focus.

Fuji X-E2, Nikon AF 60mm f/2.8 D Micro, ISO 200, ƒ–wide open, 1/8
Since the lens is attached to my Fuji X-E2 with the Nikon G AFS lens to Fujifilm Fuji X-Pro1 X-E1 Adapter Aperture Control Ring I wasn't really sure what the exact ƒ-stop was due to the extension tube factor. I probably added a stop.


This was the setup. I shot the photo using the 10 second timer delay.

Fuji X-E2, Nikon AF 60mm f/2.8 D Micro, ISO 200, ƒ–closed down, 8 sec

You can see the photo is better than a one-to-one ratio. I only shot two photos with the lens. One wide open and one closed all the way down.

Now to get a comparison for the crop factor here are the Nikon D750 photos.

Nikon D750, Nikon AF 60mm f/2.8 D Micro, ISO 100, ƒ/5, 1/15
The extension tube put the lens further from the film plane on the Fuji and thus created an even shallower depth-of-field than the Nikon D750. The second factor is the cropped affect.

Nikon D750, Nikon AF 60mm f/2.8 D Micro, ISO 100, ƒ/57, 6 sec
You can also see the exact ƒ-stops and notice that even with the D750 shooting one ISO slower than the Fuji the shutter was open a lot longer due to the extension tube.


I was using a tripod to keep the camera still. With the Nikon D750 I was using the Nikon ML-L3 Wireless Remote Control Infrared to trigger the camera. I chose the "Remote mirror-up" setting and this lets you lock the mirror up and then take a photo. You press it once and the mirror locks up and then a second time to take the photo. Here is an earlier post on this technique.

If you have other lenses for a DSLR then get a converter and see what those lenses can do. The cool thing with a mirrorless is you can see what you are getting and also get the lens critically focused since you can see the results before you click the shutter.

No comments: