Monday, January 26, 2015

Great photos are about a visual pause

Nikon D4, 14-24mm, ISO 100, ƒ/14, 1/320
I am reminded as I took in some tourist sights on The Big Island of Hawaii how a photograph is similar to these friends who have decided to have a picnic on the side of the road. They are enjoying the moment.

Nikon D4, 14-24mm, ISO 180, ƒ/14, 1/250
Here my friends Lily and her husband Philip enjoy looking for whales migrating off the coast of The Big Island.

Now driving down the road and just looking out the window might be closer to the video, but stopping and pausing is how a still image allows people to visually savor the moment.

Nikon D4, 14-24mm, ISO 720, ƒ/22, 1/250
Driving north from Kailua-Kona we stopped at Hawi Renewable Development Wind Farm. Lily's hair is getting the wind treatment just as the windmills.

I am making notes in my head about locations like this one. I am noticing how the light is affecting the scene for this time of day. What if I could come back at sunrise or even sunset, would that improve the scene to have more visual impact.

In other words is there a better time of day to hit the visual pause button to stop and enjoying the scene more than this moment?

Nikon D4, 28-300mm, ISO 110, ƒ/6.3, 1/250
Every morning here I am waking up to this scene. I walk past it on my way to breakfast. It is so peaceful and this is why I wanted to capture this and hold this memory forever.

Nikon D4, 28-300mm, ISO 250, ƒ/8, 1/250
I enjoy watching tourist as they experience new locations.

Nikon D4, 28-300mm, ISO 560, ƒ/8, 1/250
I encourage you to be like a tourist sometimes in your own hometown. Those things you walk by everyday can be things that just as you pause to enjoy will make others appreciate it just as much.

Is the photo better when I show the people on the stairs better to give perspective or is this closer shot better?

Sometimes we need to spend more time absorbing our surroundings so we can truly pause our bodies to allow us time to not just feel the peace but examine why this brings so much joy to our lives.

To capture moments that move others and not just ourselves we cannot expect a photo from a moving car to compare to the one where you stopped and did like the friends having a picnic did–stay long enough to allow the scene to permeate you completely and then you can decide the best lens, angle and composition that will capture something that truly moves not just you but others as well.

No comments: