Saturday, November 03, 2012

Shooting Volleyball with the Nikon D4 using available light

Nikon D4, 70-200 ƒ/2.8, ISO 12,800, 1/1250, ƒ/4
Today I shot a volleyball game with just available light. I was pleasantly surprised at how nice the quality of the images were for shooting under sodium vapor lights.

The Nikon D4 is something I wish I had back in the 1980s.  During those years I was shooting sports every week for the daily newspaper that I worked back then. Now I only occasionally shoot sports.

While the Nikon D4 has the high ISO capabilities the new technology of vibration reduction also contributes to the photos being sharper than I can remember.

Nikon D4, 70-200 ƒ/2.8, ISO 12,800, 1/800, ƒ/4
White Balance Setting

To insure I got the best skin tones possible, I used the ExpoDisc.  I put the ExpoDisc over the lens and pointed it towards the lights in the gym.  I also slowed the shutter speed to 1/100 to be sure I was not catching the lights during a cycle.  After doing this for both of the Nikon D4 cameras, I cranked the shutter speed preference in the Auto ISO settings to 1/2000.

Nikon D4 Exposure Settings
  • Aperture Priority
  • Auto ISO
    • Lowest ISO 100
    • Highest ISO 12,800
    • Shutter Preference 1/2000

I also was using the Vibration Reduction on the lens to help improve sharpness due to handholding the lens.

Nikon D4, 70-200 ƒ/2.8, ISO 12,800, 1/1250, ƒ/4
With the Nikon D4 you also have auto focus setting as well to choose from.

Auto Focus Setting for the Nikon D4
  • Continuous Auto Focus
  • 21 Grouping
  • Kept it centered and locked it
  • Focus Tracking on Long
  • Shutter on C-H 10fps
Nikon D4, 120-300 ƒ/2.8, ISO 12,800, 1/1000, ƒ/5.6
My Favorite Angle

This is my favorite angle for shooting volleyball. However, the one thing I would have loved even more was to shoot from a slightly higher angle. The reason for this would help me keep the net from trying to refocus my lens.

Why I like this angle is I can show the team I am covering. You can see their face expressions and while I cannot see the other teams faces, I can see the competition in the body language.

The good thing in shooting up a the players is it gives them this Greek gods feel.  I like athlete looking like they are bigger than life.  Shooting up at them helps to create this feel.

There you have it, my settings and secret weapon, the Nikon D4.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Get a 300 or a 400, please. Those backgrounds are no good.

Unknown said...

Shooting looser than normal because the client asked for looser. They have a 969x267 hole on their website they use photos. Shooting a little looser will help them have more options. They also put type over the photos.

Another point is if you shoot everything tight you limit the use of your photos. Mix it up and you can get it used on a double truck spread.

D.L. McDowell-Hiss said...

Everyone wants to be a critic?

I agree, don't shoot everything tight, mix it up (especially in sports).

The photos are great, thanks for posting. I think anonymous is missing the point. This was an article on lighting not cropping so your photos are perfect examples. This is very helpful for anyone new to sports and concerned with indoor lighting issues. If they were really concerned with the background you’d think they’d suggest a shallow depth of field instead of a headshot???