Saturday, February 15, 2014

Photography Workshop is the best way to learn photography

Fuji X-E2, XF 18-55mm, ISO 6400, ƒ/2.8, 1/60
I am really enjoying teaching here in Hawaii.  So you don't feel sorry for me soaking up all the beaches and warm weather, we are inside much of the day in class. Here the students are working on their assignment for 1:3 lighting ratio.

If you want to see their assignment here it is in an earlier blog post.

You will need to come back next week where I hope to post some of their photos.

Fuji X-E2, XF 18-55mm, ISO 6400, ƒ/2.8, 1/140
No matter how much I told the students it wasn't until they started shooting did they come to see if they really understood the concepts.

The cool thing is I don't jump in and help them. I let them work in small groups and teach each other. You see when they teach something they just learned they are now synthesizing the information.


If you just listen to someone you are probably only getting about 5% of the content. If you read about it then 10%, but when you start practicing you are now in the Kinesthetic level of learning and the average recall of the content after 24 hours is 50% or better.

You see based on research you will retain what your learned when you have hands on learning and get to practice. You will retain 75% of the content.

For those students who helped their classmate understand a concept that they just grasped then they will recall 90% of that concept the following day.

Give me a call. I do personal one-on-one workshops or you can have me come and lead your camera club in a hands on workshop.