Thursday, February 13, 2014

Photographing the Island Breeze Luau cast on the beach of Hawaii

Nikon D4, 14-24mm ƒ/2.8, ISO 200, ƒ/16, 1/200 with 2 Alienbees with CTO 1 for off camera flash. These are triggered with the Pocketwizard Radio Remotes
I enjoyed shooting these photos of the Island Breeze Impact Tour cast at the Old Kona Airport State Park on the Big Island of Hawaii. In this setting I was able to take control of the situation as compared to the night before where I was photographing them while they were putting on a Luau.

While the stage lighting is nice, the amount of light they use in the show is minimal.

Fuji X-E2, XF 55-200mm, ISO 6400, ƒ/4.6, 1/125
The show I was shooting at ISO 6400 with ƒ/4.6 and a 1/125 setting as compared to the controlled shooting on the beach with ISO 200, ƒ/16 and 1/200.

Nikon D4, 14-24mm ƒ/2.8, ISO 200, ƒ/14, 1/320
I am in Hawaii teaching lighting to YWAM School of Photography students. We went to the beach for them to see me shoot mixed light where I am adding light to the scene to help make the photos better.

Nikon D4, 14-24mm ƒ/2.8, ISO 200, ƒ/14, 1/400 no flash
As you can see in the photo where their is no flash it is more of a silhouette.

Photo by David White
In this photo you can see that was taken by my assistant David White how I set this up using the Alienbees B1600 flash with CTO 1 over the strobes to warm up the subject and then I color corrected for the light which then made the sky even more blue.

Two Alienbees B1600 at full power on the right at 45º with CTO Gels.


Nikon D4, 14-24mm ƒ/2.8, ISO 200, ƒ/22, 1/20
This is a photo of my friend and former photo student Brooke Valle.  I worked with her for having her friends and family in the cast to come and help us with the photo shoot.

Brooke is spinning the "POI" [it is the Maori word for "ball" on a cord].

Nikon D4, 14-24mm ƒ/2.8, ISO 200, ƒ/16, 1/400
Due to working around other events we did not have the ability to shoot right at the sunset. We shot had to stop about 30 minutes before the sunset.  Had we been able to go later the sky would have been a little darker and more vibrant than in these photos.

I am under exposing the subject about 2 stops to get the background to saturate and be darker. I then am over exposing the subject by 2 stops with the strobes. The combination of the under exposure on the camera and the over exposure with the lights makes the subject well exposed the background slightly under exposed and a little more saturated than what the naked eye was seeing.


Nikon D4, 14-24mm ƒ/2.8, ISO 200, ƒ/8, 1/400
Had we been able to wait a little longer then flame would also have shown up even more.

Nikon D3S, 14-24mm ƒ/2.8, ISO 200, ƒ/7.1, 1/100
Two years ago I did a similar shot and by waiting till the sun dipped below the horizon I was able to capture the flame much better because the sky was darker.

The class had fun by watching and seeing all the lights setup and also taking some of their own photos of the cast in costume.


Fuji X-E2, 18-55mm, fill flash -1 EV, ISO 6400, ƒ/5, 1/15