Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Use strobes even with the sun outside

Nikon D3, 14-24mm, ISO 200, ƒ/14, 1/250 [Lighting Diagram below]
Using flash outside can really give your photos that pop you need to make your photos better.

Now I often get asked to make group photos and even with some sunlight facing the subject I find that the shadows under the eyes and sometimes from people's heads casting a shadow on another person I prefer to add strobes to take the quality up a notch.



There were clouds also in the sky, but the software for the diagram didn't have that as a choice.

Since there were clouds the people were not squinting and the flash pops in so quickly I get some pretty decent expressions.

To me the biggest change is in those black robes. Anytime I use flash the shadow to highlight difference is minimized. While it looks like a greater dynamic range it really is just the opposite. The strobes help fill in the shadows and therefore brings the exposure all over closer to a four or five stop range, rather than the ten stops often in daylight scenes outside.

No comments: