Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Don't just click the shutter – Learn to click with people

Nikon D4, AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED, ISO 560, ƒ/8, 1/100

“It is more important to click with people than to click the shutter.”
– Alfred Eisenstaedt


Yesterday I was talking with the family after the wedding and was told they were thrilled to have had me at their wedding. They said it felt so right to have me there and they thought I was just part of the family.

It was also important to them to tell me the day of the events that my presence made them relax and enjoy the wedding. They knew that I would get every photo that they needed and this made them know they could look back later and enjoy.

Nikon D4, AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED, ISO 400, ƒ/3.5, 1/6
The wedding was for a client that has hired many photographers through the years in their line of work. They had hire some of the more famous photographers. This was their child's wedding and they wanted it covered well and at the same time they wanted someone who would fit in with the two families coming together.

Over the past seven years this person has watched me put together teams of photographers covering events like the Chick-fil-A Bowls and Chick-fil-A Kickoffs. They watched me work and cover annual meetings for corporations. They continued to hire me over and over to cover those events and to help with the planning of the strategy of the types of coverage to be done for many other communication projects.

Nikon D750, AF-S NIKKOR 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR, ISO 200, ƒ/5.6, 1/200–2 Alienbees B1600 bouncing off the ceiling for lighting.

“If a photographer cares about the people before the lens and is compassionate, much is given. It is the photographer, not the camera, that is the instrument.”– Eve Arnold


You might be thinking I wish I had customers they told me nice things about myself or my work. You might also think that getting told this is why my photographs a much better than others.

TIP


I hear from many wanna be photographers all the time. If they would just send me on that coverage I could do it. The key is they believe in their minds they are capable, but they haven't the portfolio that demonstrates they have already done this before.

People do not give you work before you have shown them that you can do it. You must show us all you can do and then they will give you work.

I had to demonstrate over and over to my clients that I have done this before and that I had their best interests at heart all the time.

Nikon D750, AF-S NIKKOR 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR, ISO 200, ƒ/5.6, 1/200–2 Alienbees B1600

I learned this very early in my life through my faith.

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
– Romans 5:8


The very best thing I can ever recommend to improving your photography and character so that more people are wanting to hire you is to find that mentor that exemplifies all these characteristics. For me that person is Jesus.

A few years ago a bracelet became very popular. It had WWJD on it. It was a simple reminder for those who follow Jesus to ask themselves in any situation "What Would Jesus Do?"


Where is your true North pointing you?


Who's your mentor and if you had a bracelet on your arm that helped to remind you what to do in a situation what would it say?

Jesus' first miracle was at a wedding where he turned the water into wine. The love and joy inherent in a wedding ceremony are also characteristic of the ministry of Christ, who came into this world because of love and brought joy to all who believe.

My goal for my business is to be known for my love and to bring joy into their lives.

No comments: