Saturday, June 09, 2012

Which Photo Would You Use?

I am covering the Revive! Young Adult Track at the 2012 Eucharistic Congress put on by the Archdiocese of Atlanta.  These are photos of the keynote speaker for the evening.

Your job is to help me pick the best photo or photos that would run with an article about him speaking to the group.

Here is the write up from the Archdiocese of Atlanta website, which is all I knew about him going into the evening. http://www.archatl.com/congress/revive.html


Fr. Leo Patalinghug

Known for his love of cooking and for inviting people to rediscover the kitchen as a place of daily grace, Father Leo Patalinghug is a popular conference speaker. A native of the Philippines who was raised near Baltimore, he studied writing and political science before seminary and earned a black belt in Tae Kwon Do. In seminary at the North American College in Rome, Italy, he developed his love of cooking. He was ordained in 1999 and as a parish priest authored “Grace Before Meals: Recipes for Family Life,” a book that blends simple recipes with ideas on how to bring meaningful spiritual discussion to the dinner table.

His cooking skills led to a Food Network episode where he defeated chef Bobby Flay in a steak fajita cooking competition on “Throw Down With Bobby Flay.”

Father Patalinghug is on the faculty at Mount St. Mary’s Seminary in Emmitsburg, Md., where he directs a pastoral field education program for future priests. He holds advanced theological degrees from the Pontifical Gregorian University and Pontifical Maranium Institute in Rome. He is featured in a 2012 EWTN series “Savoring Our Faith.” He speaks frequently at conferences, on college campuses and in prison ministry. His topics include spiritual combat, praying as a family, teen spirituality and the theology of beauty.


Help me pick the photo from below

Photo #1

Photo #2

Photo #3

Photo #4

Photo #5

Photo #6

Photo #7

Photo #8
Which photo would you use? You can pick more than one.
Please let me know why you chose one over the other below in comments. Looking forward to hearing people's thoughts on this one.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that number 4 is more dynamic and it seems to be the consensus from others too.

Unknown said...

Do you care to expound on your comment? How does this help tell the story more effectively?

Dan Schneider said...

I think 4 shows obvious passion. It sounds like the story is more about him than about the kids he works with right? 7 is a good second choice if the you want to present that side of him too, I think. In 4 I like that his expression could be interpreted as 'angry' but just a little or quite passionate, even sympathetic. It reminds me of the kinds of homilies that don't bore the parishioners. If gives me the broadest sense of him as a man and not just a priest.

Unknown said...

What if the guy is like George Carlin? What if his stick is he face expressions. I think way too many are picking the "traditional" look and not the one that captures him. One reason I included so many of his expressions to show this wasn't a one time thing. He is very animated and this gets laughs.

Would you still pick four if you knew that?

Kristel Ralston said...

It´s because of the profile of the character. He is very dynamic, energetic, likes to innovate, including ppl in a very entertaining way. And with this profile I can identify young public as the correct target. In the picture N.8 you can see him while interacting with young ppl and also one kind of "old", so the point is to transmit that he is able to reach young minds through his knowledge and also make old minds feels like young for rediscovering something the might know, but now with a diff focus.
Hope I made myself clear =)

Unknown said...

Kris great thoughts.

I am enjoying how people are interpreting the photos. Let's you know how much is communicated without a caption.

SB said...

What great energy he has. Selected 1 and 6 because they capture us unusual and fun energy without looking clowny, or posed. They show him involved in his message, a little off-beat, but not too much. I want to hear him speak...thanks.

mcrawley said...

Stan -

I like 4 and 8. I think that even for a "George Carlin" type speaker I would avoid ones like 2 & 3. Primarily because of what he is wearing. Given how Catholic priests are often the butt of standup comics these days and derided in some sectors of the public, I would be careful about the shots I use. #1 is about as far as I would go. Had he not been wearing his collar, my choices might be different.

Photos are not considered and interpreted in a vacuum or in controlled environment. If this was for an internal publication, I might choose differently but would probably be leery even then. That is because given that few, if any documents are, truly internal in the age of the Internet.

Unknown said...

McCrawley

You raise very important point that it isn't just about the message it is about the audience.

How many others consider this when picking a photo? Do you just go for the one that tells the best story regardless of audience?

Unknown said...

SB

Sometimes the best thing I can hear as a response to my photos is people want to know more. I think this is what photos should do, not just tell you everything but engage you to want to know more.

Judy Bruner said...

I really like #3, because this guy is a priest, who most people think of as being stuffy and without passion or a sense of fun about them. The expression in #3 is that of somebody who just may be up to a little bit of no good. It's a Chesire Cat Grin expression -- an expression that says "Hey, I can relate to these kids because I've got a little bit of trouble in me!"

Unknown said...

Thanks for participating Judy. Good thoughts!

Anonymous said...

Absolutely #8. The active interaction with the young people is fun, sweet and dynamic. Some of the photos have body-language interpretations that just are not inviting, bordering on scary. Number 8 could stand on it's own with a minimal caption and would be a strong draw into the story.

Unknown said...

Everyone is picking just one photo, but how about two or more? How about a sequence of photos?

robin said...

If the story is focused on priesthood as a calling for young people, #8 is the obvious choice. If you have room for a second photo I also like #4.

Unknown said...

Robin thanks