Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Nikon D4: Normal Camera Setting


These are my settings for normal shooting. Normal shooting for me is more photojournalistic using a lot of available light and lenses from 14 - 300mm range.

The first thing I do is select my shooting menu bank in the menu. I have saved two primary shooting setups.


I have normal for most average situations and shooting using studio flash. You can rename these to whatever you like to use.  I have occasionally setup a sports menu bank as well. Once you select this setting everything you then set in your menu will be saved here.


My primary slot is the XQD and the secondary slot is overflow. I am normally shooting in RAW in this setting. This means I can change white balance later if I want with more control than I would have in JPEGs.


Also I have set the bit depth to the highest setting of 14-bit to give me the largest possible data capture from the sensor.


I set the picture control to standard which only really affects the previews in a RAW.  If you are saving as JPEG and RAW then the JPEGs will be a little more punch than the Neutral which for me is too flat.


I shoot in the ADOBE RGB color space and after editing in Lightroom I output to sRGB.  In the Adobe RGB I have the largest color space and therefore when editing will have more information giving better color in the final image.


I prefer to shoot in AUTO ISO.  The ISO sensitivity is set at ISO 100 and set to max out at ISO 12,800.  I will go into this setting and often tweak the minimum shutter speed, especially when shooting under fluorescent lights to 1/100.  I wrote about Auto ISO in an earlier blog post here. While it is written about the Nikon D3S the concept hasn't changed.  Earlier I also wrote about the reason to shoot at 1/100 with fluorescent lights here.


In the custom settings I only change a few from the default settings.


I use the auto focus points of 51 with auto setting on single. It will look for faces automatically.  I may override this if the auto setting isn't locking in where I typically want. Often it is faster than me and sometimes I just need to override who I want as the focus point when there are many people in a photo.


I also like to embed my name in all the photos. So both in Image Comment and Copyright Information I put my name.



I will write more in future posts on settings for studio strobes and sports.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

RAW files don't have an embedded color space. Only saved JPEG images do.

However, since you're using the CF card as overflow you're not shooting any Jpeg images and therefore color space is irrelevant since it doesn't exist with RAW image data.

Only when you export an edited RAW image file from LR can you assign it a color space. In your case, typically sRGB.

While editing images in LR it's using a subset of ProPhoto RGB to display the images as you edit them. That is, you're working with a preview image in a subset of the ProPhoto RGB color space.